NONET For Urban Explorers - An Intro

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Illusion

NONET For Urban Explorers - An Intro

Post by Illusion » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:52 am

So, you're an Urban Explorer - and you've stumbled across our site. Allow me to run through some questions you're probably asking..

"What is this place? Full of wannabe ninjas, people who write about 'operations' - what are they? Surgeons?!"
In stark contrast to most urban exploration forums - we are actually rather welcoming! Welcoming to anybody, in fact, who requires the use of stealth and the cover of darkness. That includes us, the urban explorers, amongst many others who use this site. The thing that gives us our community spirit however, is our common requirement to be able to use the cover of darkness to get around and complete our objectives; be they photography or otherwise.

"So what can I get here that I can't get anywhere else?"
A friendly forum for a start - a lot of urban exploration ones are very group orientated and quite hostile at times; and I say that as someone who's been a member of various ones since 2005, and helped run one before - so it's not an insult!

Furthermore, this forum has dedicated sections for Gear, Techniques, Resources (ebooks + guides), Mind and Body (think fitness) as well as an area to post up any explorations you make.

"Whats with the overly paranoid sense of security though?"
This isn't a bad state of mind to be in to begin with - having known people who have been tracked down due to photographs they've taken in places; and this has been in the UK where the trespass laws are civil; not criminal! Also, most Urban Exploration forums have private sections for such discussions - we believe in just letting it all out for all of our members to see; naturally this means making a few security precautions.

However, you must also remember that people on here come and post for a variety of purposes. For that reason, we like to respect eachothers privacy and anonymity - but despite the looks; most of us speak outside of the forums via Skype, MSN or the Chat Rooms; just like any other forum!

This can also become advantageous in other ways though, by not posting specific site names you can post things like access details safe in the knowledge it's private. This may not seem like a huge deal; but by knowing the access details to one specific x (x can be an asylum, a water tower, an old military installation.. anything!) you can often apply it to another x.

"I don't see any photos!
This is probably where things change from an Urban Exploration forum the most - not every thread is just another page full of pictures. The experiences posted actually contain.. well... experiences; techniques and so on.

There's nothing to stop you personally posting your pictures though!

"Lockpicking? Knives? I don't have anything to do with these?!"
Some of the material, guides and discussions may be a bit extreme for certain situations - but just because it's discussed, doesn't mean you have to join in with every topic.

Personally, I enjoy lockpicking as a recreation, I'm a great big child when it comes to penknives and knives, I enjoy keeping fit and freerunning - and enjoy the quest for seeing just how quiet and stealthy I can be; it sure as hell can come in handy. Yet despite this I freelance for respectable clients, I study a scientific discipline, I enjoy reading and.. I'm normal, presumably just like you.
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Sangrior

Re: NONET For Urban Explorers - An Intro

Post by Sangrior » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:04 am

Illusion is quite right, anybody who sees this site at first, may think we look like "mall ninjas", or, general misfits who like to purchase Katanas from Dillards and J.C. Penney, but, you will find that we are a different sort of "Mall Ninjas".

Occasionally, when the opportunity is right, and the iron is hot, we strike! Silently entering where we dont belong, and leaving before the light comes to expose us to waking humanity, be our decided spot a mall or anywhere else we dont belong, to many, the opportunity to observe, test our limits, our luck, and our stealth is exhilarating.

The key is to leave the place as you found it, unless the goal is to leave the place how you decide it to be when you leave..

So yes, we are Mall Ninjas, but you wont find us in the food court with our anime shirts, and if we have it our way, you wont find us at all. Of course, unless, you foray into the endeavors of Night Ops and play in the shadows with us..
Out of the darkness, these blades will light our way.

Eden

Post by Eden » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:06 am

Sangrior wrote:Illusion is quite right, anybody who sees this site at first, may think we look like "mall ninjas", or, general misfits who like to purchase Katanas from Dillards and J.C. Penney, but, you will find that we are a different sort of "Mall Ninjas".

Occasionally, when the opportunity is right, and the iron is hot, we strike! Silently entering where we dont belong, and leaving before the light comes to expose us to waking humanity, be our decided spot a mall or anywhere else we dont belong, to many, the opportunity to observe, test our limits, our luck, and our stealth is exhilarating.

The key is to leave the place as you found it, unless the goal is to leave the place how you decide it to be when you leave..

So yes, we are Mall Ninjas, but you wont find us in the food court with our anime shirts, and if we have it our way, you wont find us at all. Of course, unless, you foray into the endeavors of Night Ops and play in the shadows with us..
I see what you were trying to do here, however, I've known men on this site who would probably kill you for insinuating they are mall ninjas. The UrbEx vs NightOps debate is one that has been going longer than I have been a member of this community. They are two very different sides of the same coin, and I feel that most of that difference depends on what side you're looking from. Yes, both groups go where they don't belong, but there is infinitely more to either pursuit. Asking UrbExers to come be a mall ninja may not be the best way to bridge that divide.

Also, this thread is from January 2012...Necromancy at its finest.
I'll tell you a secret...The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again.

Æternaeon

Post by Æternaeon » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:48 pm

Most people don't dress the way they do for the sake of looking cool. It's a simple matter of functionality and often availability. Black is typical because it's available and blends into the night, camo is often on military style uniforms because that's what it's usually dyed onto. Sometimes an operative needs to carry equipment around and they'll do it on load bearing equipment of any sort that makes it immediately available to them so they can minimize their time in high risk situations like picking a lock in the relative open. Mask is so you're not identified by anyone if seen physically or on camera, and gloves eliminate fingerprints.

There's a method to the madness, and all you need to do is look at failure stories and wonder why some of those people didn't just adhere to the above standards. Who cares what you look like? Maximize your chances of getting away clean and without being noticed.
Sacrifice the body, not the heart.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:01 pm

^ What he said. We don't dress up to appear 'cool', we dress up to not appear at all.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Sangrior

Post by Sangrior » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:53 pm

It doesnt matter what you look like, if nobody sees you, and you complete your task!
Out of the darkness, these blades will light our way.